Rocklin City Hall
This historic building is at 3980 Rocklin Road.
Rocklin History Tour – Stop 3.
Adolf Pernu, owner of Rocklin’s early twentieth-century California Granite Company quarry, built it as a company store for his employees in 1912. That year is inscribed in a granite frontispiece over the front entrance.
Pernu had purchased the quarry in 1905.
Pernu’s quarry pit, known now as the Big Gun Quarry, is behind the City of Rocklin office building next door at 3970 Rocklin Road.
The pit was the source of the granite used in construction of the State Capital Building in Sacramento in the 1860s.
Businessman Chung Moon arrived in California in 1921 from Hawaii and leased Pernu’s store to operate a grocery market from sometime in the 1920s until the late 1930s. His family occupied the second floor until they purchased the home of Dr. Henry Fletcher across the street at the corner of San Francisco Street and Rocklin Road. Today the Fletcher home is the site of the Rocklin History Museum.
Pernu died in a quarry accident in Sequoia National Park in 1931. His family was unable to operate the quarry profitably, and as the Great Depression deepened, creditors took possession of the store’s building. The City of Rocklin bought the building from a successor owner in 1941 and it has been Rocklin’s City Hall since then.
Rocklin’s old timers remember that Rocklin’s library occupied the first floor in the early 1940s when City Council meetings were on the second floor.