Rocklin History Museum
Rocklin History Tour – Stop 4.
The Rocklin History Museum is at 3895 Rocklin Road at the corner of San Francisco Street.
Dr. Henry Fletcher erected this building as his home and office in 1905, boom times for Rocklin’s railroad roundhouse operations and granite quarries.
Fletcher was Rocklin’s town doctor and treated both Marshal Sam Renaldi and saloon keeper Uledi Holmes after their gunfight at Blackwell’s Stable on February 18, 1914. Renaldi and Holmes both died of their wounds shortly afterward.
Hawaiian immigrant Chung Moon operated a grocery store in the 1920s and 30s across the street in the granite building which is now Rocklin’s City Hall. His family occupied the Fletcher building until the City of Rocklin purchased it for lease to the Rocklin Historical Society for use as a museum in 2000.
The museum opened in 2002.
Fletcher’s waiting room is a granite quarry exhibit. His exam room is a gift shop. The parlor depicts scenes from Joel Parker Whitney’s Spring Valley Ranch. The basement shows a variety of both manual and power tools used in the early days of granite mining.
The museum is open on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 1 to 4 pm.
To learn more about the History of Rocklin, visit www.rocklinhistory.org.
- Gary Day / photos by Roy Salisbury