Roseville, Calif. – You may have a blast celebrating the 4th of July, but the flashes, cracks, and booms of fireworks can be very frightening for your pets.
The Placer SPCA, local companion animal welfare experts, would like to remind pet owners to keep their pets inside, especially during the evening hours.
Fireworks set off near your home can panic your dog or cat, and in trying to get away from the noises they can become disoriented and lost. It is important to remember that many people set off fireworks a few days before and after the holiday as well.
Many local shelters, including the Placer SPCA, see an increase in stray animals in the first week of July.
“We suggest that pets be kept in a quiet, familiar room in your home any time loud noises are nearby,” said Placer SPCA CEO Leilani Fratis. “Even a very mellow animal might try to dart out the door if he is scared by fireworks blasting nearby.”
If your pet does get lost, a tag and microchip may make the difference in getting him or her back home.
The Placer SPCA is offering microchip implants for only $15 from now until July 3rd. About the size of a grain of rice, the microchip contains a code that a shelter or veterinarian can scan to obtain a pet owner’s name from a national database maintained by the manufacturer. If your pet already has a microchip, please be sure to keep your contact information current. If you don’t know the manufacturer information, come in to the Placer SPCA for a free scan.
4th of July
- Alternatives to Traditional 4th of July Celebrations
- Creating your own 4th of July Playlist to chill out
- Roseville 4th of July Parade, Fireworks and Local Events
- Roseville 4th of July Fireworks @the Grounds
- Rocklin Celebrate America Festival July 1-2 at Twin Oaks Park
- Lincoln 4th of July parade and fireworks
- Auburn 4th of July Parade, Fireworks, & Events
- Folsom Pro Rodeo
- 4th of July Playlist Across America
- Postponed: North Lake Tahoe 4th of July Drone Light Show
- Autism Tips for a Sensory Friendly July 4th
- Fourth of July Fireworks Safety Tips
- Summer Food Safety Tips for 4th of July
- Run Crime Out of Roseville 5K Fun Run
- Roseville residents reminded to celebrate responsibly