$20 million in rental assistance for those struggling due to Coronavirus

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Anaheim will provide $20 million in assistance to families and landlords struggling with rent debt due to the coronavirus crisis.

In the second phase for Anaheimโ€™s Emergency Rental Assistance Program, approved by the City Council Tuesday, renters and landlords impacted by COVID-19 can get help with unpaid rent from the past year.


Roseville Today's Holiday Guide!

Holiday Guide

Roseville Today's Holiday Guide!

Holiday Guide

In Downtown Roseville

California Recovery Center

In Downtown Roseville

California Recovery Center

This will lift a huge burden off the shoulders of many Anaheim families

Harry Sidhu, Anaheim Mayor

โ€œThis will lift a huge burden off the shoulders of many Anaheim families,โ€ Mayor Harry Sidhu said. โ€œWeโ€™ve helped many already, but there is more need out there. By taking our federal and state funding and creating a locally administered rental assistance program, weโ€™ll be able to quickly provide direct help to those who are hurting, both renters and landlords.โ€

Anaheim helped 736 families with up to $2,100 in assistance in the first phase of the Emergency Rental Assistance Program, approved by the City Council in May 2020 as part of the $36 million Anaheim Community and Economic Recovery Plan.

Second Phase

The second phase of the program was made possible by added funding allocated to Anaheim by the state and federal governments for rental assistance.

In the second phase of the program, the city will pay 80 percent of rent owed if landlords agree to forgive the remaining 20 percent, in line with the stateโ€™s eviction protection program.

If a landlord chooses not to participate in the program, their tenant can still apply to get 25 percent of their rent owed.

There is no cap on how much assistance each household can receive. The city will give priority to households making less than 50 percent of area median income and those who are unemployed.

Those who received assistance in the first phase of the program can reapply for additional help.

Federal & State Funding

The program is funded through state and federal funds allocated directly to Anaheim for rent help.

Applications will open on March 1, 2021, and will be due by March 31, 2021. For more information and to apply, visit Anaheim.net/rentassistance.

Residents who need extra assistance can call the city hotline at (714) 765-4300, ext. 4890.

Roseville Today is locally owned & community supported.
We have NO affiliation with print, politics or corporate media.
(Now in our 20th Year)