Members of the public are invited to attend a candlelight vigil on October 9, 2006 at 7:00 p.m. in honor of the service and sacrifice of Officer Matt Redding, who was killed in the line of duty on that date last year.
The candlelight vigil will be held in front of the Rocklin Police Station, 4080 Rocklin Road.
Officer Redding was killed by a drunk driver in the early morning hours of October 9, 2005, on Highway 65 near Stanford Ranch Road while he was directing traffic away from his fellow officers during a car stop. He was a member of the SWAT team and was decorated for valor, life saving and meritorious duty.
Officer Redding was also a champion in the fight against drunk driving. Officer Redding served as a Rocklin police officer for 4 years. The City Council described him as a man committed to his family, friends, his fellow officers and the community.
The Rocklin City Council has declared October 9, 2006 an Official Day of Remembrance in the City of Rocklin.
Members of Peer Support, the Police Association and other employees have worked together to plan a number of remembrance activities for October 9th. These ceremonial activities are done to honor the memory of Matt. Recognition of the anniversary of Matts death is also an important part of our grieving process and serves to pay appropriate respect to Matts family, survivors and all those affected by this tragic loss.
In addition to the public candelight vigil, the following events are planned for October 9, 2006:
* A Special Order by the Chief of Police will officially retire radio call sign 3P20 and Rocklin PD badge number 215.
* Uniformed employees are asked to wear a black band on their badge from Midnight to Midnight on October 9th.
* 4:08 hours: Dispatch will request a period of radio silence in remembrance of 3Paul20, Officer Matthew Redding.
* 07:00 hours: A wreath, photo and comment book will be placed in the police lobby and remain accessible to the public through Friday, October 13th.
* 12:00 hours: A Rocklin PD Honor Guard detail will decommission Officer Reddings mailbox and locker, placing the name plates in a special frame to be posted in the Patrol area of the police department. This will be a closed ceremony for Redding family members and police employees.
* 18:00 hours: There will be a private reception for Rocklin PD employees and their families and the Redding family.
* 19:00 hours: Remembrance and Candlelight Vigil ceremony will be held in front of the police department. Members of the public are invited.