As of Monday, August 19th, the American Fire continues to scorch and consume steep and rugged terrain in Placer County.
Smoke from the fire continues to impact an increasingly large area in the mountains and valleys.
The latest report shows the fire size at 14,765 acres and growing. By comparison, the Pony Complex Fire in Idaho at 150,000 acres is about 10 times the size of the American Fire.
So, with all the numbers of acres being burned, just how large are these fires and what type of perspective may we have?
American Fire Size
- American Fire ~ 23 Square Miles
- Roseville, CA ~ 36 Square Miles
- Rocklin, CA ~ 19 Square Miles
- Auburn, CA ~ 7 Square Miles
- Lincoln, CA ~ 20 Square Miles
- Sacramento ~ 100 Square Miles
Pony Complex Fire in Idaho
- Pony Complex Fire ~ 234 Square Miles
- San Jose, CA ~ 176 Square Miles
- Chicago, IL ~ 227 Square Miles
- Los Angeles ~ 468 Square Miles
- Denver, CO ~ 153 Square Miles
- New York, NY ~ 468 Square Miles