Roseville, CA- Taking some time to prepare your home for sale will increase the value and shorten the sales time. We are finding many of today’s buyers want a move-in ready house and will quickly walk away from a good property because they see too many flaws.
Before the first showing, make sure your home is ready.
Here are 5 tips to prepare your house for sale:
1. Remove Clutter: Clear your kitchen counters of just about everything. Clean your closets by packing up little-used items like out-of-season clothes and old toys. Install closet organizers to maximize space. Put some of your furniture in storage, especially large pieces, such as entertainment centers and big televisions. Pack up family photos, knickknacks, and wall hangings to depersonalize your home. Store the items you have packed offsite or in boxes neatly arranged in your garage or basement.
2. Home Inspection: Most buyers will want a home inspection as part of the sale. Be one step ahead and get your own. A home inspection will typically cost between $300 and $400 and you will know about issues which may make buyers walk away. Make needed repairs/replacements before putting your house on the market.
3. Make Repairs: In addition to the repairs suggested by a home inspector, fix small problems, such as torn screens, dripping faucets and sticky doors. These may seem small but if not fixed will lead buyers to believe the home has not been maintained well.
4. Replacement Estimates: If the home inspection turns up significant issues which you cannot afford to repair, get estimates for having the repair or item replaced. This will assist buyers in understanding the cost to make the repair or replacement.
5. Cleaning: This is the most obvious tip but you would be surprised how many houses go on the market without being cleaned. A clean house without odors is the best first impression you can make with buyers. Key items to clean are windows, carpeting, light fixtures and baseboards. Mop and was floors and make sure you don’t forget the kitchen appliances. Look for the details like light switch plates, inside cabinets and door knobs. A fresh smelling house is a must!
If you follow these five steps before you put your house on the market, you will increase the probability of getting the price you are asking for and sell your home in less time. There are buyers out there who can see past clutter, dirt and needed repairs but why wait for one of them, make your house shine and be attractive to most buyers.
If you have any questions or comments I would love to hear from you. I can be reached at the MagnumOne Realty office in Roseville (916-899-6571) or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org