Contemporary French design & National Register of Historic Places status
Calistoga, CA – The Francis House small luxury inn officially opened following an extensive 3-year renovation. Initially a family home for prominent local merchant, James H. Francis, The Francis House in Calistoga is a landmark building steeped in history and prestige located in the heart of Napa Valley wine country.
Built in 1886, The Francis House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It is the only stone building in Napa County with authentic French Second Empire architecture. As renowned as it is for its architecture, The Francis House is significant to many Calistoga residents for its service as the Calistoga Hospital from 1919 to 1964. Change in ownerships, natural disasters and the passing of time all contributed to the fading of this remarkable property until it was finally shuttered in 1965.
Restored, rehabilitated and redesigned
After being uninhabited for the next 50 years, The Francis House has now been carefully restored, rehabilitated and redesigned as an exclusive five-room luxury inn by proprietors Dina and Richard Dwyer. The restoration recently received a 2018 Preservation Design Award from the California Preservation Foundation.
Guest rooms on the second and third floors have king/queen beds, premium bed linens, period writing desks, custom brass luggage racks and smart TVs. Guest bathrooms are adorned with Carrara marble, heated toilets and custom brass fixtures, and feature toiletries by Molton Brown. Complimentary wi-fi is available throughout the property.
The ground level consists of a reception area, private kitchen, the salon and adjoining dining area that opens to the pool, patio garden and the pool house beyond. The kitchen is Gaggenau-equipped, and the latest Miele espresso machine in the pantry makes the perfect morning cup.
The property offers many intimate indoor and outdoor areas for reading, working or relishing privacy, including an infrared sauna & salt room. Two French limestone fountains are prominent features in the landscape design that also includes citrus trees, espaliered fruit trees, fragrant rosemary, gardenia and jasmine, and gravel pathways.
The original interior stone walls complemented by European oak plank floors give The Francis House a European flair, enhanced by modern day technology throughout (including the option to unlock your room with a smart phone app). In addition to the many architectural details, Dina and Richard selected significant pieces in the interior such as the Carrara marble fireplace mantle from the set of the TV series Peyton Place, which highlights the salon.
The Francis House offers complimentary daily breakfast that is seasonal, unique and locally procured, and wine tasting at 5 p.m. on weekends featuring renowned wineries of the Napa Valley. Concierge service is offered as is complimentary parking on site and electric car charging facilities. The rates will range from $495-$695 per night.
The Francis House is located at 1403 Myrtle Street, Calistoga, CA 94515.
For further information, please visit the website at http://www.thefrancishouse.com