Swimming Holes, Hiking Opportunities Don’t Deter Crowds
7-Day a Week Reservations – To efficiently manage parking usage during the Covid-19 social distancing period, parking reservations are required every day of the week in response to high use and to promote distance between visitors. The number of available daily reservations has been reduced from normal levels. Once the Covid-19 crisis subsides, reservations will return to normal and only be required on weekends and holidays. Parking Permits Here
Auburn, CA- The name conjures up a remote, wilderness experience. The reality is a bit less wild and distant than one might anticipate.
Nevertheless, Hidden Falls Regional Park in Auburn is a tranquil, outdoor escape that continues to be discovered by hikers, horse lovers and casual day-trippers.
Located a mere 12 miles from Lincoln, Hidden Falls with its recent expansion now encompasses over 1,200 acres and 30 trail miles. (A proposed expansion aims to double the trails to 60 miles.) People of all ages and fitness levels seek out the serene foothills beauty at one of Placer County’s exceptional recreation areas.
Hidden Falls offers an opportunity to take in beautiful ridgeline vistas and flower covered hillsides while exploring a combination of cool, creekside shaded trails and sun soaked rocky outcroppings. The swimming holes near the falls are popular, but well worth it after working up a sweat on the trails. The hike to the falls is downhill and a little rocky, just keep that in mind for the uphill hike back.
A few benches can be found along the trails for brief stops and a larger wooden deck awaits you once you reach the park’s namesake. It’s a wonderful spot to snap a few pics, grab a snack and rest your bones before continuing your hike. For those seeking a little more solitude, explore the trails away from the falls. They are much less traveled.
Hidden Falls proximity to suburban Placer County makes it an easy and worthwhile escape any day of the week.
Hidden Falls – Quick Tips
- NEW! Parking Fees and Reservations Required on weekends on peak times.
- Google the drive through Lincoln for a peaceful and much more beautiful drive.
- Limited to no cell service in the area
- Weekdays are best to avoid crowds (Parking Lot can fill by 9:00 am)
- Weekends and Holidays: Go early to avoid heat and get a decent parking spot(you don’t want to hike the steep lot after finishing your hike)
- Pack a snack or lunch and plenty of water as it’s easy to stay longer than planned.
- Summers are hot, so dress accordingly
- Bring a hat to fight the sun
- Cool off at natural swimming holes. (No lifeguards, so proceed at your own risk)
- Bringing your camera is recommended.