Swimming Holes, Hiking Opportunities Don’t Deter Crowds
Auburn, CA- The name conjures up a remote, wilderness experience. The reality is a bit less wild and distant than one might anticipate.
Nevertheless, Hidden Falls Regional Park in Auburn is a tranquil, outdoor escape that continues to be discovered by hikers, horse lovers and casual day-trippers.
Located a mere 12 miles from Lincoln, Hidden Falls with its recent expansion now encompasses 1,200 acres and 30 trail miles. People of all ages and fitness levels seek out the serene foothills beauty at one of Placer County’s exceptional recreation areas.
Hidden Falls offers an opportunity to take in beautiful ridgeline vistas and flower covered hillsides while exploring a combination of cool, creekside shaded trails and sun soaked rocky outcroppings. The swimming holes near the falls are popular, but well worth it after working up a sweat on the trails. The hike to the falls is downhill and a little rocky, just keep that in mind for the uphill hike back.
A few benches can be found along the trails for brief stops and a larger wooden deck awaits you once you reach the park’s namesake. It’s a wonderful spot to snap a few pics, grab a snack and rest your bones before continuing your hike. For those seeking a little more solitude, explore the trails away from the falls. They are much less traveled.
Hidden Falls proximity to suburban Placer County makes it an easy and worthwhile escape any day of the week.
Hidden Falls – Quick Tips
- NEW! $8 Parking Fee being added
- Google the drive through Lincoln for a peaceful and much more beautiful drive.
- Limited to no cell service in the area
- Weekdays are best to avoid crowds (Parking Lot can fill by 9:00 am)
- Weekends and Holidays: Go early to avoid heat and get a decent parking spot(you don’t want to hike the steep lot after finishing your hike)
- Pack a snack or lunch and plenty of water as it’s easy to stay longer than planned.
- Summers are hot, so dress accordingly
- Bring a hat to fight the sun
- Cool off at natural swimming holes. (No lifeguards, so proceed at your own risk)
- Bringing your camera is recommended.
- Reservations system currently be considered due to lack of parking facilities