Explore the SLO Cal Region this winter and trade in snow for salt
Morro Bay, Calif. – Replace scents of juniper, balsam and pine with crisp ocean air and fresh oysters as Morro Bay invites travelers to this charming, walkable town during the winter season. Brimming with holiday trees made from old crab pots and brightly decorated boats sailing in the harbor, Morro Bay is filled with nautical holiday ambiance.
As one of the last operational seaside fishing villages in California, sweet Dungeness crab, fresh fish and world-famous oysters headline holiday menus while visitors and locals alike line up at one of two waterfront seafood markets to hear what was just unloaded on the docks. (Fun fact: local seafood markets sell over 2,000 lbs. of crab per day on Christmas and New Year’s Eve!) The bustling waterfront Embarcadero is filled with surf and shell shops, art galleries and coastal souvenirs.
Winter on the California Coast
Morro Bay’s winter weather is mild and with an abundance of outdoor activities and events, everyone in the family will find something to enjoy. Known as one of the country’s best places for bird watching, the bay is also home to otters, dolphins and seals, while boasting over six miles of coastline. From kayaking, whale-watching tours, sailing, kite-flying, ocean-side golf, biking, stand-up paddle boarding and world-class surfing, experience the slower side of California’s iconic coast this season.
Here’s a sneak peek at upcoming events this winter. After all, who wouldn’t want to skip snow for salt?
Lights Beyond Lighthouses
- Holiday Tree Lighting Celebration– The annual Holiday Tree Lighting Celebration takes place on Friday, Dec. 3 in City Park. Beginning at 3:30 p.m., enjoy activities for the whole family, commencing with the City Park tree lighting to kick off the month of December. For more information, contact Morro Bay Recreation Services at 806.772.6278.
- Lighted Boat Parade– A local favorite, the annual lighted boat parade is happening on Saturday, Dec. 4 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Embarcadero. Admission is free, and you won’t want to miss this dazzling celebration.
Holiday Shopping and Photos with Santa
- Annual Winter Faire & Juried Craft Show – Morro Bay Art Association is hosting their Winter Faire & Craft Show through Jan. 3, 2022 from Noon to 4 p.m., complete with an exceptional collection of paintings, photography and fine crafts, spanning a variety of artistic mediums from traditional to contemporary.
- Santa’s House at the Embarcadero– Take a photo with Santa Claus from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Dec. 3-5 and Dec. 10-12.
SLO Cal Classic Holiday Activities
- Downtown SLO Hanukkah -Just 15 minutes outside of Morro bay, The San Luis Obispo Jewish Community is inviting all locals and visitors to their annual lighting of the public menorah outside of the Old Mission of San Luis Obispo de Toloso. Each night of Hanukkah, join in celebration for another year of miracles beginning at 5 p.m.
- Cambria Christmas Market – A SLO Cal regional favorite, the Cambria Christmas Market is open through Dec. 23 and is filled with millions of Christmas lights, visits from Santa, delicious food and drink options, handcrafted items from local artisans and makers… and so much more. It’s a must-see while staying in Morro Bay.
Book your stay at any of Morro Bay’s amazing hotels, inns or vacation rentals by visiting morrobay.org.