Holiday Season Safety Reminders from Roseville PD
It’s the season for giving…and for taking
Roseville, CA- The holidays are upon us. Now is the time to put plans in place to ensure you have a safe and happy holiday season. The first thing to note is: not everyone sees this season as one for giving.
Over the weeks and months to come, two risk factors will increase your chances of being a target:
- You may spend extended time away from your home
- You may purchase and/or unwrap new expensive gifts
Don’t make your home an easy target for criminals to do their holiday shopping. Taking proactive steps now to ensure you enjoy the holiday season.
Here are some simple crime prevention suggestions to make your home less of a target while you enjoy time with friends or family, or you’re simply out shopping for the day.
Make sure your holidays are stress-free. Follow these proactive prevention tips to ensure you have a happy and safe season.
- When you’ll be away, ask a trusted neighbor, family-member, or friend to keep an eye on the house or check-in on it periodically
- Ask a trusted neighbor to park their vehicle in your driveway while you’re gone
- Light up your home with manual timers to indoor lights or use an app to turn on your lights on and off remotely
- Avoid advertising your vacation plans on social media because in many cases all of your “friends” “friends” can also see your updates
- If you have a home alarm, make sure to diligently use it over the holidays
- Reinforce your door security with a door brace or security bar
- Secure your windows with a sash pin as an additional locking mechanism or a dowel to help prevent the window from being opened
- Keep packages or gifts away from windows or other visible locations
- Put your mail or deliveries on hold or ask someone to pick up any deliveries while you are away