Snowstorms herald start of Northern California Ski Season
Olympic Valley, Calif.- Optimism abounds as snow falls in and around Lake Tahoe ski resorts. Grooming and snowmaking operations are in full swing. The season of wintry fun has arrived at this world class ski destination.
For both beginner and advanced skiers and snowboarders, a little preparation can go a long way in making the most of winter fun. Here’s a few tips to help get you prepare for a great Lake Tahoe ski experience.
Step up your fitness!
A vigorous day on the slopes can exhaust even the most seasoned of skiers and boarders. At elevation, the impact can be heightened. Kicking up the cardio along with some weight training and stretching ahead of time will help keep away a little fatigue before sliding into the hot tub after after a long day on the slopes.
- Cycling and Running to boost cardio
- Core exercises to stay balanced (Think Russian Twists!)
- Stretching to stay limber and avoid injuries
Equipment, Stay in Tune!
There’s nothing quite like a smooth ride along the powdery slopes. Keeping your ski equipment in tip-top shape is key. Experts say the three key components for downhills skis are base repair, edge work, & waxing. Ski shops provide some great services, but for those do-it-yourselfers, check out the video below from REI to help you glide across the mountaintops.
Sun Protection & Clothing
Staying warm, dry, and comfortable while avoiding some serious sunburn is essential for making your ski trip a positive experience. Weather can change rapidly in the mountains and being well-prepared goes a long way. Explore a checklist of 13 ski trip essentials.
- Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
- Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
Whether you’re planning a day trip to the mountains or an extended ski vacation, preparation is key for the perfect winter ski and snowboard adventure!