Ranking #24 on the “Top 50 Employers” list by CAREERS & the disABLED magazine.
The magazine’s Annual Reader Survey determined the rankings. It asked readers to identify the top companies across the nation for which they would most prefer to work or viewed as having a positive working environment for people with disabilities.
In 2008, Sutter Health and Sutter Roseville Medical Center adopted comprehensive plans for improved access under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Since then, the organization has invested tens of thousands of hours and millions of dollars to improve access to medical services by employees and patients alike with disabilities.
“Few organizations have made such a commitment, but at Sutter Health, the goal of accessible patient care is a top priority,” said Carol Bradley, disability compliance officer for Sutter Health, in an interview with CAREERS & the disABLED. “[Our] coordinated approach helps ensure seamless access to quality treatment.”
Because Sutter Roseville Medical Center is a newer facility that was designed and built to meet the requirements of individuals with disabilities, it has now established seven new organizational policies to ensure all patients and employees-including those with disabilities-have easy access to quality health care services.
Other recent accomplishments include:
- Identifying an ADA coordinator, Joan Touloukian, to help improve health care access for people with disabilities
- Building ADA Alerts into the registration system that allows staff to identify patients that need special accommodations prior to their arrival
- Identifying and implementing extensive updates to the medical center’s website to improve access by individuals with disabilities
- Continuing education for employees regarding ADA compliance
In addition to the hospital’s policies, Sutter Medical Foundation Care Centers, which provide outpatient services, are also making changes for the better when it comes to ADA compliance *:
- Identifying an ADA Coordinator to improve health care access for people with disabilities – for now and in the future
- Installing wheelchair accessible weight scales
- Placing exam tables 18″ from the floor for easier access
- Installing accessible automatic door openers
- Reviewing new construction and physician office remodel projects to ensure new buildings and offices are ADA compliant
Additional improvements and enhancements continue today. Sutter Health and Sutter Roseville Medical Center remain committed to improving access to medical services by patients with disabilities. A pioneer in ADA advancements throughout the nation, the Sutter Health network is proud to lead the way in quality, accessible patient care for patients of all abilities.
About Sutter Health
Serving patients and their families in more than 100 Northern California cities and towns, Sutter Health doctors, not-for-profit hospitals and other health care service providers share resources and expertise to advance health care quality and access. The Sutter Medical Network includes many of California’s top-performing, highest quality physician organizations as measured annually by the Integrated Healthcare Association. Sutter-affiliated hospitals are regional leaders in cardiac care, women’s and children’s services, cancer care, orthopedics and advanced patient safety technology.
We have NO AFFILIATION with print, politics or corporate media.
(20+ Years Strong!)