Celebrations and Christmas Tree Lighting by St. Nick
Sacramento, Calif. – The community is invited to experience another exciting season of “Theatre of Lights,” an electrifying and family-friendly holiday tradition in Old Sacramento.
Theatre of Lights is a free holiday lighting extravaganza at the Old Sacramento Waterfront produced by the Downtown Sacramento Partnership. The nightly performances Thursday through Sunday from Thanksgiving Eve – Christmas Eve (no show on Thanksgiving) features a live-action retelling of Moore’s 1823 poem – “A Visit from St. Nicholas,” more popularly known as “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas.”
The highlight of the 20-minute production is a live dramatization on the balconies above K Street, complete with a special appearance by Jack Frost, and the lighting of the 60-foot Christmas tree by St. Nick himself. Discover how early pioneers experienced the calamities – and revelry – that befell the new city in the 1850s, the sounds of the fires, floods and parties will surround the audience as the 150-year-old building facades light up with color.
2022 Theatre of Lights
- November 23 through December 24
- Event and start times vary between 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm (View all times)
- Limited street parking, free after 4:30 pm and free all day Saturdays and Sundays
- Tower Garage Parking: 1289 Front Street, at Capitol Mall
- Old Sacramento Garage: 274 I Street, between 2nd & 3rd streets