A dangerous and potentially very damaging grease fire at Fats Asian Bistro in Roseville was extinguished this morning, December 10, 2012, by the manual activation of a fire suppression system by a restaurant employee after the system failed to activate automatically.
“The fire suppression system and quick thinking of the restaurant employees stopped a grease fire that could have easily gotten out of hand otherwise,” said Roseville Fire Department Battalion Chief Kathy Finney. “For restaurants, its extremely important to keep your fire suppression systems maintained and to train your employees on manual activation. The damage to the building could have been extensive and put them out of business for a very long time.”
The fire started around 9 a.m. as the restaurant staff was preparing for the restaurant opening. The Roseville Fire Department arrived on scene at 9:12 a.m. to find the fire already extinguished. Fats Asian Bistro is located at 1500 Eureka Blvd. in Roseville.
The fire engulfed about an 8-foot section of cooking surface and range hood, causing damage to both. The cost of damages is undetermined at this time. The restaurant will be reopened after inspection by the Placer County Health Department and servicing of the spent fire suppression system.
There are no reported injuries. Restaurant employees safely evacuated the building.