Loomis, Calif.- Casque Wines of Placer County announces Best of Best wins at the 2010 California State Fair Wine Competition. During the Grape and Gourmet event on July 7th the honors were awarded to Casque Wines for California’s Best Micro Winery of the Year for both the Red wines and the White wines, winning 2 out of 3 awards given for the state’s best Micro Wineries. This placed them on the list for Best of Show.
The country’s oldest and most prestigious wine competition in the last few years started a Micro Winery category to recognize California’s top small production wineries which produce less than 2000 cases annually. These wines are hard to find, but now vinofiles have a chance for some exposure to these small wineries that typically just have a local cult following.
Casque’s award winning wines were:
- 2009 Vermentino (DOUBLE GOLD – 98 POINTS) This nearly perfect score was awarded unanimously by all judges, and the only one to score this high in the Micro Winery category. This wine will be released on Bastille Day, July 14th at an evening release party at Bistro La Petite France in Granite Bay, CA.
- 2007 Cabernet Franc (GOLD – 95 POINTS) Also one of the highest scoring winners in the Micro Winery category.
- 2009 Viognier (SILVER – 91 POINTS). This wine will also be released on July 14th.
- 2008 Calotte Blanc (SILVER – 88 POINTS). Note that the 2007 Calotte Blanc was the first wine Casque Wines released and won a Best of Class at the San Francisco Chronicle 2009 Wine Competition, America’s largest competition.91 POINTS) Releasing in July.
- 2008 Calotte Blanc (SILVER – 88 POINTS) This white blend features 4 wines all fermented separately in stainless steel.
“Casque Wines focuses on hand crafted wines with grapes from the Sierra Foothills best vineyard sources”, stated Mark Breunig, managing partner of Casque Wines. “Our focus is to take people on a slightly different wine journey than what they may be use to with some unique varietals and blends that are created to pair extremely well with food. Our partner, and winemaker, Kevin Stevenson, has the knowledge and palate to create world class wines that build a cult following. As a young winery, we are extremely excited at this early recognition as a premier California Winery. “
ABOUT CASQUE WINES:
Casque Wines of Placer County released their first wines in the fall of 2008 with a production of 400 cases. Since then production has nearly doubled, and the awards keep coming with wins in every competition entered. Owners Mark Breunig and Kevin Stevenson pride themselves on producing small lots of hand crafted Bordeaux and Rhone style wines from the absolute best vineyard sources in the California Sierra Foothills. They embrace the time honored French tradition of blending several different varietals together to create a wine that is greater than the sum of its parts. They also seek to create single varietal wines that display a special character in their own right. Wines are sold on-line and through boutique wine shops and restaurants. Casque Wines has plans to open a new winery production facility and tasting room next year. In the meantime they offer a dynamic website with upcoming events, a wine club, wine tips, recipes, as well as the opportunity to purchase their wines on-line.