Events Calendar – Roseville, Sacramento, Rocklin, Granite Bay, Auburn, Lincoln, Folsom
- This event has passed.
Roseville Home for the Holidays Exhibit and Scavenger Hunt
December 10 @ 12:00 am – January 4 @ 11:59 pm
Home for the Holidays Exhibit & Scavenger Hunt
Now through January 4, 2020
CLOSED ON: (closed Sundays and Mondays, plus closed Dec. 25 – Jan. 1)
Utility Exploration Center
1501 Pleasant Grove Blvd., Roseville
Roseville, CA- The holiday season is the time to bring family and friends together for delicious meals, thoughtful gifts and special get-togethers. However, all these celebrations can result in extra trash, huge laundry piles, fatty food waste and extra energy and water use. Not to worry – your Roseville Utilities are here to help.
Drop by the Utility Exploration Center now through January 4 and explore the Home for the Holidays exhibit to gain helpful hints on what you can do to ease holiday stress on you and your home during this busy time of year. Complete a quick and fun scavenger hunt in the Center and receive a free gift to help you conserve resources at home. (One prize per family, available while supplies last.)
There are several interactive components to the exhibit that will be fun for families to discover together. You can plug in an inflatable snowman to see how many watts he uses, wrap a present in a map or cloth wrapping and do a puzzle to find a hidden message.
Says Melissa Kinsey, Interpretive Services Specialist at the Utility Exploration Center, “The holidays are more often than not a time when all of our festivities result in more trash, sewer issues, and increased energy and water use. We offer a lot of tips and tricks to help visitors reduce waste, live sewer smart and save energy and water during the holidays. After completing a short scavenger hunt in our exhibit hall, participants receive a box of LED holiday lights and a reusable gift box or bag filled with items that they will find very useful at home. Plus, every child who participates with his or her family gets a pair of glasses that turn holiday lights into snowflakes!”
A sneak peek at some tips to help you save this month:
• A home full of loved ones should shine. Light up your holidays for less with LED bulbs. In addition to using less energy, LED bulbs are cooler, making them safer to string on your tree than incandescent lights.
• Don’t let FOG ruin your feast. Fats, oils and grease (FOG) poured down the drain can cause nasty clogs that can back up your pipes. Don’t get bogged down by sewer clogs while you have a house full of guests.
• Give your Christmas tree new life by recycling it into compost and wood chips.
• Treat your trash can to a lighter load by updating your wrapping this year. The average household produces 25% more waste during the holiday season than any other time of the year. Reusable wrapping can help reduce the amount of waste you create while gift giving. Be creative – reuse wrapping paper and bows or wrap gifts in old maps, newspapers or fabric.
• ‘Tis the season to save water! Make sure there is plenty of water to go around by reminding guests to control water use. Every minute your shower or kitchen faucet runs averages 2.5 gallons of water down the drain. Challenge yourself to a 5 minute shower, turn water off between rinsing dishes and make sure your dishwasher is full before turning it on.
The Utility Exploration Center is located at 1501 Pleasant Grove Blvd. in Mahany Park and is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. (Please note: the Utility Exploration Center will be closed for the holidays from noon on Tuesday, December 24 through New Year’s Day. The Center will reopen at 10 a.m. on Thursday, January 2.) Admission is free. For more information, call (916) 746-1550 or visit www.roseville.ca.us/explore.
Single Basic Event – New for 2020!
$14.95 per event
For single one day event includes a basic community calendar listing with 1 photo, website link and up to 300 word description
>> Get Started Here
Single Featured Events
$29.95 per event
(Highlighted & Featured)
For events running up to 3 consecutive days
Long description, website link, ticket link, 2 photos, Google Map link. Featured on homepage and social media.
>> Get Started Here
$69.95 per event
For weekly or monthly events up to one full year. Includes everything in single events package with up to one year recurrence.
>> Get Started Here
Get extra exposure with expansive feature coverage for your business or event. Includes site-wide features and social media promos from weeks to months leading up to the day of your event. These slots often fill quickly and are based upon availability.
Advance registration (2-6 months) is advised.
>> Contact Us